Does Hypnosis Really Work?

hypnotic state

Does Hypnosis Really Work?

Whether I offer a phone consultation, have a session with a new client, or attend a networking event, I always get asked the same question: does hypnosis really work? And the answer is always the same: yes, hypnosis really works. I have seen it change many lives for the better over and over again. It has certainly changed mine on all levels.

People often associate hypnosis with what they have seen on television: individuals get up on a stage, they give their power away, the hypnotist then places them in embarrassing situations, and afterwards they don’t remember anything. That is a widespread misconception. Stage hypnosis is done for entertainment purposes and often times the audience and volunteers play into it for fun. It is hypno-drama.

Hypnotherapy, on the other hand, is used, just as the name suggests for therapeutic purposes. It is a very powerful yet pleasant process that can help people change certain habits and thinking patterns, and ultimately lead to physical and emotional well-being. Some of the most common conditions hypnosis therapy is used for are:

  • smoking cessation
  • addiction
  • weight loss
  • sleeping problems
  • stress/anxiety
  • release of anger
  • fears
  • self-sabotaging behaviors

Hypnotherapy can also help people gain confidence, perceive themselves and the world around in a more positive way, increase motivation, and live more fulfilling, exciting lives.

How does hypnosis work?

Hypnosis is a relaxed state of mind in which the client is in full control; it feels like a guided meditation, or a deep daydreaming state.

Hypnotherapy works with the subconscious mind, the place where our programming and conditioning is stored. It is where our emotions, memories, associations, habits, automatic responses, intuition reside, and it represents about 88% of our whole mind’s capacity. It drives our lives. The conscious mind, on the other hand, represents about 12% and is characterized by logic, will power, reasoning, analyzing and decision making.

In the hypnotic state, we bypass the critical filter that rejects ideas such as “I want to quit smoking” or “I want to be more confident”, and we are able to infuse new desired ideas, thoughts, images, and suggestions so the client can develop a blueprint of the desired behavior, habit or pattern on a deeper level.

After hypnotherapy, when the conditioning is changed, the individual starts easing into the results, naturally and effortlessly. Repetition of the process may be needed in a few days or weeks, depending on the particular condition we are working on, and the client’s history, triggers, stress level, habits, and so forth. Some people respond right away to treatment, while others have a delayed reaction and need more time to make the desired changes. But everybody can be hypnotized, even those who think otherwise.

The hypnotic state

All of us enter into a hypnotic state on a daily basis. We daydream, lose track of time, or miss a turn while driving because our minds are somewhere else. We get emotional watching a movie, listening to a song that brings back memories, and fall into that drowsy state right before falling asleep at night. It is a natural, comfortable state of being where the mind is open and receptive. It is a state in which we gain direct access to the subconscious mind and all of our “programming” and allows us to make the changes we want in our lives.

A suggestion given in a hypnotic state is much more powerful than one given in the conscious state because it has no time to be diluted, changed, or analyzed by the critical filter of our conscious mind.

All the self-improvement books and programs on the market suggest going into a quiet, meditative state often, in order to work on our goals. That is the hypnotic state, and once again, when we work on our goals in that inner state, it has a very powerful effect and we achieve those goals much faster. In a professional setting, the trained hypnotherapist facilitates the session, uses specific hypnotic tools personally tailored for the individual client, and takes the client deeper into the hypnotic state so that he or she may achieve optimal results that last, faster.

If you have questions about how hypnotherapy works or about our services, please contact us. We are here to help.

Warm regards,

Beatrix Wagner, C.Ht.


No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.